BA (Hons) Business (Top-Up)
This is a vibrant and dynamic course that incorporates value-adding input from guest speakers and industry specialists, and is composed of three modules that cover the business perspectives relating to managing people (Issues in Human Resource Management), managing processes (Business Operations) and managing strategy development (Business Strategy).
There is also a leading edge module that looks at latest developments and emerging trends in business and management (Business Futures) and a module that enables independent research study into a business problem or particular subject of interest (Research Methods and Project). Graduates of this course will be business-ready, and rapidly able to take up new employment or enhance their existing employment with heightened business acumen, capability and insights.
Study Mode: Full-time
Study Location: Wembley Central campus
Course Level: 6
Awarding Body: London Metropolitan University
- Business Operations
- Business Strategy
- Business Futures
- Issues in Human Resources Management
- Research Methods and Project
"Subject to final approval"
To gain entry to our top up courses, you must have any of the following qualifications:
- A Higher National Diploma (HND) in a relevant subject with a PASS
- Foundation Degree in a relevant subject
- An equivalent Level 5 qualification in a relevant subject
- A recognised UK or overseas equivalent
Applicants will also be required to complete the following:
- Provide a Personal Statement
- Provide original Level 5 qualification (or equivalent)
- Applicants will also be invited to attend an interview
The course and its modules are aimed at developing a broad range of skills among students including skills and abilities that are highly desired for success in business. Therefore, the assessment within modules uses a range of assessment vehicles including coursework, examinations and project work. Students are expected to produce essays, reports and a portfolio for coursework, to deliver presentations and assessed seminars, and to demonstrate effective teamwork and their ability to work with different media and complex multidisciplinary concepts.
On completion of this course of study, students should be able to:
Knowledge and understanding:
- Develop a systematic understanding of the theories, practices and issues affecting the strategic management and operations of a variety of business organisations.
- Explore and understand the various internal and external drivers that influence corporate and business level strategies in order to effectively lead and manage business organisations operating in different environments.
- Critically analyse and evaluate the prevailing factors and emerging trends affecting the structure, functions, activities, regulation and direction of business organisations.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding in social responsibility in order to manage responsibly and behave ethically in relation to social, cultural, economic and environmental issues.
Cognitive intellectual skills:
- Critically evaluate the range of strategic, tactical and operational issues affecting the different processes and relationships that exist within different business functions.
- Critically assess conflicting situations and contexts to develop informed positions and arguments.
- Propose better practice and alternative solutions to current business problems based upon the application of critical analysis and reflection.
Transferable skills including those of employability and professional practice:
The course will allow students to avail learning opportunities to acquire following transferable skills:
- Communicate effectively using a range of written and verbal techniques, adapting to emerging trends in digital media and the use of ICT, and competently using and presenting data.
- Appreciate and enhance capability in terms of self-motivation, organisation and time management; managing the work of others and working effectively within a team, as applicable to a range of personal and professional contexts.
- Demonstrate confidence in undertaking research to analyse complex business and organisational problems to derive recommendations and develop innovative solutions.
Subject-specific practical skills:
The course will provide learning opportunities to students to acquire the following practical skills:
- Develop and implement effective recruitment, selection and performance management procedures.
- Design and develop practices to enhance business operations including supply chains.
- Formulate and implement business strategies on the basis of a range of strategic options.