FdA Foundation Degree in Business
This is a multi-disciplinary course: as well as studying topics such as finance, students also learn about other important aspects of the business context including human resources and marketing affecting and shaping the businesses overall. Field trips, practical work and practical workshops are regular features of this course.
In the first year students will gain a basic understanding of the business environments in which organisations operate, understanding different types of business organisations, managing finance, marketing, and examining individual and group behaviour in organisations. Year 2 builds on their skill levels and extends their knowledge to cover employability skills and professional development, decision-making, entrepreneurship and work based learning. Practical work, case studies, presentations, report writing, advanced software experience and practical workshops are regular features of this course.Apply Now!
Study Mode: Full-time
Study Location: London Campus
Course Level: 5
Awarding Body: London Metropolitan University
- Introduction to the Business Environment
- Introduction to Marketing
- Managing Financial Resources
- Managing People in Organisations
- Employability Skills and Professional Development
- Entrepreneurship in Business
- Work-Based Learning
- Business Decision Making
Wednesday 6th March 2019
At LSST we welcome applicants from a wide range of backgrounds. If you have recently been in education or are returning after a long time, we would be more than happy to consider your application.
Depending on your circumstances, you may wish to apply based on your previous qualifications (Level 3, A-Levels, Diploma) OR as a mature learner (aged 21+) on the basis of your previous experiences via our assessment based entry.
Application based on Previous qualifications:
If you are applying based on your previous qualifications, you must have any one of the following:
- 80 UCAS tariff points from Level 3 qualifications
- A Levels at grades B, B or B,D and D, or above
- BTEC Extended Diploma with Merit, Merit, Pass
- Access to HE Diploma
Mature learners (Aged 21+)
If you are applying as a mature learner (aged 21+) and do not have the above qualifications, you can apply via our assessment based entry and we will consider your prior experiences (work, voluntary, life and other experiences) that are relevant to the course.
You will be required to complete the following:
- Provide a CV and Personal Statement
- English Language Test (IELTS 6.0 or score 70%)
- Maths Test (Score 50%)
- Complete a SAPE Assessment (Screening for Accreditation of Prior Experience)
- Academic Interview
English and Maths Requirement
All applicants are required to demonstrate they have the functional skills needed to complete their degree.
- You will be required to pass our English Language test with a minimum 70% score, equivalent to IELTS 6.0.
- You will also be required to pass our Maths test at a minimum score of 50%.
To support your application further, applicants may also present a GCSE English and Maths (grade 9 - 4 / A* - C) or Level 2 equivalents.
Students will have individual sessions with a tutor to develop an Individual Learning Plan that will be appraised regularly during tutorials. The curriculum incorporates a number of reflective logs and reports for the completion of course work. During the work placement in Year 2 students will write a report which includes details of their development in their real life work settings and assists students to set goals for prospective employer engagement.
Assuming that some of the students come from a variety of educational backgrounds and many have not completed traditional routes to higher education the College requires students to undertake tutorial sessions on study skills. Additional one to one support is provided to these students.
On completing the course students will be able to:
Knowledge and understanding:
- Demonstrate a detailed knowledge of the main concepts, models and tools of marketing and understanding of various ways to meet the needs of customers.
- Develop a detailed understanding of the key functions and responsibilities of organisations and their interaction with external factors.
- Use a variety of tools and techniques to self-evaluate, plan and review their own personal and professional development.
- Demonstrate specialist subject knowledge and practical aspects of managing people in the process of organisational development.
Cognitive intellectual skills:
- Research, analyse and evaluate a range of concepts and operational issues which affect business organisations
- Devise and sustain arguments and solve problems affecting organisations using ideas and techniques learnt during this course.
Transferable skills including those of employability and professional practice:
The course will allow students to take up learning opportunities to acquire the following transferable skills:
- Apply skills of reflection and self-evaluation to promote their personal and professional development
- The ability to communicate effectively using a range of techniques and media, including emerging trends in technology, use of ICT and competency in the use of data.
- The skills of effective self-motivation, organisation, time management, group work and leading and working effectively within a team within structured and unstructured practical contexts.
- An enthusiasm for lifelong reflective learning, the motivation, attitude and commitment to pursue a career within business industry.
- Develop a range of key skills (academic writing, literacy, numeracy and ICT skills).
Subject-specific practical skills:
The course will provide learning opportunities for students to acquire the following practical skills:
- Identify business problems and their causes and explore the methods used in business to make decisions.
- Use financial tools and techniques to research, analyse and present data
- Research and develop a business plan for a new venture, thus demonstrating understanding of the key concepts and skills involved in being an entrepreneur.
Undertake a work-based project which demonstrates understanding of the theory and practice involved in an agreed aspect of a business in which the student has some experience.